December 13, 2010

Ashlynn Elayne

This post is going to be a little scattered and long. If you want, skip the editorial and just look at the pictures.

At the end of October, my doctor noticed that my blood pressure had gone up. He had me come back two weeks later, and it was still up. At that time, he had me go in for a Non-Stress Test (NST) at the hospital. He then also changed my appointments to weekly. For the next 4-5 weeks, we went through this same process, I go to the doctor, he sends me to Labor and Delivery (L&D) for an NST, I'd go home.

Well, on Nov. 19th, I was at L&D for an NST, and my blood pressure just didn't go down, like it usually did. The doctor on call that night decided to admit me into the hospital, put me on an IV blood pressure medication and to monitor me and the baby over night.

The next morning, they were worried that I would need to deliver that weekend, so they transferred my care to Utah Valley Hospital because their NICU is equipped to handle babies that were 8 weeks early.

Well, things settled down there, she wasn't born and was sent home and put on bed rest and came out having 3 separate doctors appointments every week for the duration.

Fast forward to Dec 3, 2010. I was at the Perinatologist, having an NST. They also did some lab work. They saw that my blood pressure wasn't going down and the proteins in my urine were up quite a bit from the last time they tested it earlier that week.

They sent me off to L & D to do more monitoring. Things weren't looking good. At 2 pm, the doctor on call that day (since mine was on vacation) came into the room I was in and said "You're having a baby today". Two and a half hours later, I was in the delivery/operating room. At 5:14 pm, Ashlynn Elayne was born. She was 3 lb 14 oz and was 15 1/2 inches long.

Since Ashlynn was born so quickly (we didn't have anything but an over night bag with us) I'm waiting for pictures from the day she was born to come from other people. As soon as I get them, I'll post them.

Ashlynn being brought to my room on Dec. 4. Since I couldn't go to her (because of the medications they had me on) her nurse that day brought her to me for 10 minutes so I could hold her for the first time.

My little angel.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

She is adorable Aub. When do you get to bring her home?

Tyson & Gina said...

She is so sweet and perfect. Congrats again!